Friday, June 06, 2008

Courageous Kali

I met Kali Greene for the first time Thursday.
I knew who she was and remembered the stories The Star published about her five years ago when she was first diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's large cell lymphoma. But until yesterday, she was just words on a page.
Kali and her mom, Denita, came to The Star office for an interview with me to update you, our readers, about Kali's progress. She's in remission, and on Tuesday she'll graduate from Crest High School.
A lot's changed in five years. She's no longer a 12-year-old fighting for her life; she's a 17-year-old on the brink of life.
Kali's faced what many adults don't have the strength to deal with. She's come out with grace and is even paying it forward by leading Crest High School's Relay for Life Team.
I hope some day I'll have half as much courage as Kali Greene.

No comments: