Sunday, July 27, 2008

Test kitchen: Cherry-Chicken Salad Croissants


I am a huge fan of Taste of Home Magazine. I raved about it so much that for my birthday my sister got a subscription for me. I look forward to getting it every month so I can try new recipes.
I tried Cherry-Chicken Salad Croissants tonight for supper. It sounded so good and easy to make - and it has apples in it, one of Nathan's favorite foods.
We've decided it's a keeper in our house, except that it needs more dressing/mayo.
I was right, too. Nathan loved the apples in it and even ate his chicken under some persuasion.
And speaking of Taste of Home, The Star will be hosting the Taste of Home Cooking School again in October. Be sure to check my blog and www.shelbystar.com for more details.

Cherry-Chicken Salad Croissants
(Picture and recipe from Taste of Home August/September 2008)
2-1/2 cups cooked chicken breast
2/3 cup dried cherries (I used dried cherry-flavored cranberries)
1/3 cup chopped celery (I omitted)
1/3 cup chopped tart apple (I used Granny Smith)
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1/2 cup mayonnaise
4 teaspoons buttermilk**
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
7 croissants, split
In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cherries, celery, apple and pecans. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, salt and pepper; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken salad onto each croissant. Yield: 7 servings
** To make buttermilk without having to buy a container (which goes to waste in my house), measure 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar into a measuring cup. Add milk to measure one cup liquid. Stir and let sit for five minutes. Voila! Instant buttermilk!

No comments: