Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reduced to be reused

I witnessed a travesty today.
I rode with my husband to our local convenience center (i.e., the dump) to throw away the trash and recycleables. There is a shed there called the Swap Shop. Since we've grown tired of our Hoover Floor Mate (which never worked good in seven years), I decided to donate it to the Swap Shop and see what I could find.
There was a box of paperback books that included Kay Hooper, Mary Higgins Clark, Tami Hoag .... and Nathaniel Hawthorne.
My soul hurts that someone would trash "The Scarlet Letter." It's a classic and required reading in many high school and college courses.
I, of course, rescued it and screamed across the parking lot to my husband that it was an abomination to throw it away. (It should be noted I minored in literature, thus my love for books.)
I plan to read it on vacation. For fun. Not because I have to.
Yeah, I'm a nerd, I know.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Alison-The Swap Shop is the best idea I've ever heard of. That could make national news!
My aunt and uncle worked as shift managers at the landfill in Gaston County. They often spoke sadly of the many, many items that were simply dumped. There were no provisions for recycling or "swapping" items. My aunt, an avid gardener, finally got permission to create a flower garden of dumped goods. She had benches, gnomes, lovely fence pieces that bordered her flowers and even an old plough!
Best,
Amelia Townsend