Monday, April 07, 2008

You let your toddler do what?



Would you let him out of your sight?
Neither would I, nor do I.
My sweet Nathan will be two in May, and I think he does very well for his age at obeying the rules we've set forth for him.
I would never expect him at his age, though, to be able to take care of himself essentially for any length of time.
I encountered two different instances this weekend of parents/caregivers letting their children take care of themselves.
One child couldn't have been more than 6 to 8 years old and was playing alone at a local children's attraction. Pitifully, when my family and I were getting ready to leave, she asked not once, but twice, "But who's going to play with me?"
The other child was less than two years old, and was left alone for more than 10 minutes to entertain herself while the adults in her life shopped.
Bottom line: If you're not going to take care of them, don't have them, don't offer to be responsible for them. Enough said.

No comments: