Saturday, August 18, 2007

Spread those wings and fly

I've been out of the blogging realm a few days.
On Thursday, I moved my baby sister to college. I'm almost 10 years older than her, so I've always felt maternal toward her - and even more so in the past two years since our mom died.
I met Thursday with mixed emotions - elation over her going to college and (hopefully) having the best time of her life. It was also very, very sad for me. Not only is my mom no longer here to share in the pride and joy I take in Laura, but I feel as if I've lost my best friend. Thursday night I cried when her car wasn't in the driveway. And tonight during supper I automatically took three plates out of the cabinet only to realize I didn't a third.
It literally feels as though my baby bird has left the nest. I know she'll probably need advice (and will ask for it.)
For now, though, my best advice is this - spread those wings and fly.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh, don't worry about me. Paula and I have been getting along well, and tonight I ate cafeteria food and survived. All is well.