Thursday, August 02, 2007

Wonderful Wonder Boxes

I was at Cleveland County Memorial Library recently working on a story about the new Harry Potter book (more on that in another post.)
While I was there librarian Delores Ashworth mentioned to me the Wonder Boxes. Curious, I asked what they are.
Not only was I informed, but I left with one that very day.
Wonder boxes are essentially a box filled with books, puppets, puzzles, DVDs or videos and CDs on any topic you can imagine. There's wonder boxes on various holidays, being an older sibling and even nursery rhymes. (Nursery rhymes was the wonder box I brought home for Nathan, my son.)
Designed for all ages of children, most wonder boxes can be checked out for around three weeks. Holiday wonder boxes are usually in high demand close to the holiday in which they pertain, so check out times may be shorter then.
Nathan enjoyed the items in the wonder box. He's almost 15 months old now, and is very interested in taking things apart and putting them back together. There was a wooden puzzle with the Three Billy Goats Gruff (a nursery rhyme I'd all but forgotten.) He loved it.
Keep in mind with the wonder box too - you have to keep up with everything in them. (A challenge for anyone with a curious toddler like Nathan. He's been known to hide things in his toy fire truck, the refrigerator, the cabinets and even in a jar of change.)
For more information, contact the library at (704) 487-9069.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those boxes! They're great for a rainy day and hyper kids. I hope other parents see the post and use this resource.